5.27.2008

Sunday, 25 May: Colmar (updated)

Took a train to Colmar, a city rivaling Strasbourg. The highlight and purpose for the trip was to see Grunewald’s Eisenheim Altarpiece in Unterlinden Museum with Pr. Hartmann-Mahmud.

We sat down for a 'brief' lunch that ended up lasting over two hours, but the food was really good. I had a 'Vegetarian Menu' which consisted of a veggie soup, veggie lasagna that was amazing and a fruit salad for desert. The total price with water was 20 Euro.

At the museum I got to see some beautiful works. The majority of the former nunnery held religious works - - the Eisenheim Altarpiece was by far the most impressive and extensive set of works. Hopefully I will have plenty of photos which I will either add on here or on my new Flickr account. The creativity, detail and execution of the paintings is something I had yet to witness - It was truly a great experience. Modern works of note and personal favor included Jean Degottex, Pierre Soulages, Pablo Picasso, Otto Dix, George Grosz, and Claude Monet.

My attempts at contacting anyone in the states failed again today... I got about 8 voice mails - it's so frustrating because it costs a good deal of money and its very time consuming to connect.

Later that night we went to a pizzeria close to Bouxwiller Apts. with Kara, Kathleen, TC, Rob. I had shrimp pizza, coke and banana and chocolate ice cream with chunks. The food was really good... for the money a pizzeria is probably your best bet on eating well and getting full. I don't remember the price exactly but it was around 14 Euro.

No comments: